Wednesday, July 15, 2009

More family visits and DC

After Sarah and Adam's wedding we had a few busy days visiting with family members and then it was off to DC to give the Korean Consulate our passports. We go back this Friday to pick them up (hopefully with our visas inside!) and then we are 100% all set to leave for Korea.

We had a lovely lunch with Nick's Uncle Steve and Aunt Gina and his cousins Tessa, Nigel and Jade. Steve is a professional photographer and has an awesome studio in their house. I loved their home, it had a great feel to it, very welcoming and warm. It was so very nice to meet and visit with them :)


Later that same day we were off to dinner with Grandma Meg, what a delightful lady! We went to Ruby Tuesdays...I had never been, which was something Nick was incredulous about. It was good, I had crab cakes with a spicy chipotle sauce. Yum. Grandma Meg is a sweet lady and her boyfriend Charlie was very nice as well. We had a wonderful time talking and joking around. I also got to meet Sheila, Meg's good friend and a close friend of the Bencivenga family. It's been so nice to be welcomed into the family by so many fantastic people.


Tuesday we were in DC, like I previously mentioned, spending some time in the consulate. We had lunch with Carrie, one of Cyndia's dear friends from back when she lived in DC. Carrie had the most amazing home I've seen in a long time. She had loads of eclectic, vibrant art and interesting and wild furniture. Her home has high ceilings (she ripped out the attic to make her rooms even more soaring) and each room has an awesome color and great textures. Her downstairs bathroom was painted with chalkboard paint so you could chalk on the walls. I loved it.

After lunch with Carrie and our boring visit to the consulate (where we met around a dozen other people going to Korea to teach English and learned that our frantic preparations and bumbling experience with leaving the country was typical) Nick and I mosied around the National Zoo. It was sticky and hot and many of the animals were hiding or sleeping.



After the zoo closed we drove over to McLean to have dinner with Bill and his girlfriend Molly at this tasty sushi restaurant. We had jalepeno tuna rolls, shrimp tempura with asparagus and wasabi mayo rolls, hamachi, spicy scallop rolls (mmm my new favorite)...it was really really good. It was a lot of fun meeting Molly as well and seeing Bill again. They are such sweet and kind people.
Tonight I'm whipping up a dinner for the Bencivengas (Grandma Meg is coming too!) so I'll be in the kitchen most of the day. Tomorrow I'll post pictures of my culinary creations...I'm making prime rib roast, scalloped potatoes with gruyere and parmesan cheese, sweet white corn, wilted spinach and then for dessert...chocolate panna cotta with strawberries and a homemade chocolate port sauce. I think they're going to like it! hahaha


No comments:

Post a Comment