Sunday, July 19, 2009

We has Visas!

HOORAY! Friday we went back into DC to the Korean Consulate and picked up our passports with our Korean visas in them! Success!

After that we had some time on our hands so we went to the Kenneth Behring Center Museum of American History. It's part of the Smithsonian museums. Kenneth Behring is our friend Brandon's grandfather, so we were amused to see the Behring name on the outside of the building. We enjoyed the transportation exhibits showing off boats and cars and other vehicles that Americans have used over the years, and we also checked out the original Star Spangled Banner, and then an exhibit devoted to Lincoln and then exhibits for the rest of the presidents. It was fun and educational! There were also funny statues in the exhibits, so I took lots of silly pictures with them (as usual).






Then Nick and I went over to see Jackie and her daughters. It was good to see them again - I had gotten the chance to meet Jackie and Hannah when they came out to California to check out Stanford. Jackie is a good friend of Cyndia's (Nick also showed me the house that Cyndia and Bill used to live in down the street from Jackie's) and Nick spent a lot of time in their home growing up. They have a beautiful home and backyard and a playful dog named Chance. Jackie took us to this AWESOME seafood restaurant where we had crab cake sandwiches and shrimp salad and key lime pie...YUM.



Despite some terrible traffic Nick and I made it back to Centreville to see Aunt Brandy and Uncle Ronnie for a bit, we had a nice time catching up and talking. It was good to finally say I've met just about everyone in Nick's family...I know I have a few more people to meet but unfortunately we ran out of time and will have to get to know each other when Nick and I return from Korea. There's always the wedding :)


In the evening Nick and I went with his friend Bucky and Bucky's girlfriend Ashley to the Kennedy Center to see a play, Spring Awakening. We had dinner on the waterfront and then thoroughly enjoyed the play, which was about an old fashioned, conservative German town and the teenagers who lived there as they dealt with parents, discipline, sex, young love, school, suicide, etc...it reminded me of Footloose. It was a musical so there was a lot of rock & roll singing, the actors/singers were VERY talented.




Saturday morning we had to get up SUPER early (4:45 am, ugh) for me to catch my flight back to Los Angeles. I'm in California now and Nick is still in Virginia. He flies out here on Thursday and leaves for Korea this coming Saturday, the 25th. I follow him over there on the 30th...we are so close to leaving!

PS...no jury duty tomorrow, I have to call back tomorrow night to see about Tuesday :/

No comments:

Post a Comment