Saturday, April 10, 2010

Today, I Bought a Wedding Dress


As many of you know, Nick and I are getting married in May of 2011. We have been planning our big day while overseas and some time ago I started looking into having my dress made here in Korea. I've been sketching and saving pictures of dresses I like and compiling them all into a little wedding sketchbook. When I was looking at wedding dresses online I was deterred by the US prices of the dress styles I liked. I had been looking at wholesale wedding manufacturers online and I was struggling with the idea of buying a dress without seeing it or spending more money than I wanted to on my dress. Luckily, I have some amazing friends here who were more than willing to help me break into the world of Korean weddings. My Korean teacher made an appointment for me to consult with some dressmakers. It was a very exciting day!


First, I went on my own to "Wedding Street", In Ahyeon-dong. I walked past many wedding dress shops and took some pictures with our new camera :). I went into a few shops to talk with the dressmakers and figure out how much I could expect my dress to cost, what the quality of materials and craftsmanship were like, and how easy it would be to work with these seamstresses. While some of the display dresses were stunning, I left most shops feeling disappointed. The shops all had three or four dresses on display and that was it. Few had books or images for me to see, and many spoke little to no English. Most of the better fabrics were wildly expensive and the ones that were in my price range felt and looked cheap. I figured if I had been able to find a place I loved I could have brought my Korean speaking friends to talk with them, but ultimately I left Ahyeon-dong doubting I would ever buy a dress from there.


I met my friends at Hak-dong station not too far from Gangnam and together we went over to Yulianna Wedding Consultants. Our appointment was at 4 pm and it was just a short walk from the subway station. We were right near Furniture street and large, expensive displays of Scandinavian couches and French antique furniture were in classy, over-the-top stores all around us. We turned onto a little side street, entered a building and went up to the fifth floor. Our consultant was waiting for us. She led us into a little room with purple velvet couches and MOUNTAINS of wedding albums. We sat and talked and sketched for hours. We went over every detail of the dress, with my friend patiently translating so nothing was left unsaid or misunderstood. We poured over pictures and photographs and discussed fabrics, bead work straps, hem lines, where the zipper would be...everything you could imagine! The woman was wonderful, thorough, and kind.


After an exhaustive examination at what I wanted in my dress, I was whisked out of the purple room to the pink makeup and hair room. They pinned up my hair in twists and braids and tacked a tiara onto my head. I was told that a wedding is my day to be a princess, and that they would make me look like one. Now, most of you know I am NOT the princess-y type, but I wasn't given the option to not be a princess, haha. They took off my smaller earrings and clipped on some huge, sparkly monstrosities. I was told it would look good from far away. They powdered blush on my cheeks (Too pink! I argued, but was told it would look good in the lighting) and smacked gloss on my lips. My eyelashes were curled and mascara was layered on. I was not comfortable playing the girly girl.


Next I was whisked onto a raised rectangular stage. In the middle was another raised section, this one was a circle. I was directed to stand on the circle. Mirrors flanked me on three sides, golden curtains were hiding me from my friends. Three women stripped off my clothes and pinned me into a dress that had some of the elements I liked for my own dress. I slipped on some heels they provided me and then they put a bouquet of flowers in my hands. Suddenly hot stage lights were turned on and the curtain swept back, presenting me to my friends. It was surreal and very amusing. I was paraded about in a few different dresses, discussing with my consultant about what I liked, what I didn't, how things felt, etc.


The price was right and with all the attention to detail I knew that this was the place for me. I went for it and signed a contract. My dress will be hand made and I will go back May 15th for my final fitting. At that time the dress will be complete and we will make sure no further alterations need to be made. If there are changes that have to be made, I will most likely be shipping the dress home the first or second week of June. I am so excited that everything ended up working out so wonderfully, and I am eternally grateful for my beautiful Korean teacher for helping me with the most important dress of my life! I couldn't have done it without her, and I am so happy to have her as my friend. I still can't believe that I bought a wedding dress today!

38 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I just came across your post as well. I am dying to know where you went to in Seoul etc. I'm getting married in September and wanted to find a dress in Korea before I went home.

    Thanks a lot! lambkristen@hotmail.com

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I was on google looking for a wedding dress in Seoul and I came across your blog! I would love to know more about this little shop. So if you could please e-mail me at ambereaster09@yahoo.com, I would greatly appreciate that. I look forward to hearing from you. I leave Korea Feb 20th and I'm getting married Feb 26th! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi.. how much it cost for ur weeding dress? coz i plan to get 1 too!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    Like the other girls comments, I am also looking for a wedding dress in Korea. If you could email me detail about the place you went to, how much your dress was, ect. I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much! apjacks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!! My name is Elizabeth. I'm also interested in having a wedding dress made here. Could you please email me if you get a chance and give me a ballpark figure of how much it would cost? The dress I want is really simple and I was thinking of going to Ewha to try and find a dressmaker but it sounds like you had a great experience and I'd be interested to know more. Thank you so much!! dallasbeach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI, my name is Nok. I plan to visit Korea next week and also plan to find a good wedding dress for myself. Could you please provide my details of place you visit and approximate price as well? Thanks. nok.aris@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ALSO came across this and would love to know where you went or the general cost? Thanks! FianoJeanne@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi, i'm Nika and like the other girls also looking for a wedding dress in Seoul. If you could email me detail to talk2nigora2@yahoo.com about the place you went to, how much your dress was, ect. I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, seems there are a lot of us out there looking for dresses in Korea ;) If you could be so kind as to forward me the details of the shop etc. too PLEASE!! janine.louw@yahoo.com It will be MUCH APPRECIATED ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Trying to find a decent dress at a decent price and failing miserably. Could you send me the shop's information? Thanks so much!

    bri.verwers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!
    I have the same questions. My mom is here and we wanted to look for dresses. If you could e-mail me, I would love to get some answers for my questions. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

    soccerstarkas@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI.I was also googling and came across your blog. It sound helpful for me. I am looking for some dresses in Korea. Would you mind to share where did you buy and how much it cost for you? Could you send me email: loloshk@gmail.com

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read your blog and I'm super interested in this place too... I'm looking to buy a wedding dress here in Korea before I head to Canada and I was worried that all the dresses were "free size". I'd love to know more details about the place you went and cost, etc... my email is pink18goddess@gmail.com

    It seems like there are so many of us in the same situation. Maybe we need to start a support group? haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ack! Sorry to join the bandwagon, but could you provide me some more details on the shop you went to and the price of the dress as well? Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

    michelle.r.warren@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am also in the same situation. Could I please get the number or more information.

    presleyamanda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi...I am also having the same problem.
    Could you send me the information of the place and how much your dress cost etc

    billie.haw@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha HIIIII! I ALSO like the 8000 women before me, am getting married and looking into a korean wedding dress! I'm only home for a few weeks and then not at all until a month before the wedding so if I could find a dress here, that'd be amazing! Could you possibly email me any information, price, who you dealt with? Where? I live near Busan but going to Seoul would be worth it for a good dress! Jolsen87@gmail.com Thank you SO much!
    Jen Olsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I see that you are also looking for a dress! Just wondering if you have heard from the girl on this blog....or if you know of any other places to look for dresses?
      Thanks, Elisa
      (the post below you)

      Delete
  21. I shall just follow suit.....I'm also a Canadian looking to buy a dress here in Korea before heading home for the wedding.
    I have tried googling the name of the place, but with no luck.
    Do you have any more specific info about the location, price and just any other helpful details?
    THANKS!!!!
    elisawysz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Same question as everyone else! Cost? How was the final product? Did you love it?
    Please let me know the details...I need to have a dress made here and have zero idea what the cost would be...
    Kelooki@gmail.com
    Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there!
    I hope this dress-maker is paying you for advertising! Hee-hee! I am also interested in
    a) where one can try on wedding dresses in Korea,
    b) where one can find a Korean dress-maker who speaks English, and
    c) how much it all cost you.

    If you can answer some/any of these questions, I would be so grateful. I am starting to panic about getting a wedding dress here! hoganuna@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I know this is an old post but I see people are still commenting on it so hopefully you're still reading!
    I am getting married in Korea and like many others, I have no idea where to find a dress! Could you please e-mail me the information of the shop... if you have the Korean name, that would also be really helpful! Thanks!
    caitlin.saylor@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi!

    I wondered if you please could send me the contact details for the shop you used. Thank you so much!
    Hope you had a great wedding day:)

    Ane
    ane.borgen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,
    I'm interested to know where is the place and is there any contact I can liase?

    Also how much does it cost? I'm looking for short wedding dress.

    My email is xinpei.tan@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. are there any online South Korean companies that do wedding dresses? if so please email me the website at

    ninosdirect@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. hi! im keen on knowing which shop, and price u paid too. could you email me the details too. thanks!
    anglishan83@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi! I was in this exact same situation a couple of months ago - there is a wedding dress shop that rent and sell dresses and it is NOT in Ahyeon Dong (went there and felt so frustrated!). It is run by a lovely lady in a lovely hanok shop near Bukchon’s Jeongdok Library (just seeing the shop from outside feels like bride's paradise haha). It's called Ayasophia. Hope it's good for any of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leonela, I'm dress shopping right now, and in a bit of a panic because i can't seem to find the shops. Can you give me some more info, location, price, is Ayasophia all traditional dresses?
      bradleybookworm3@gmail.com

      Delete
  30. You should DEFINITELY be getting a promo fee from this wedding dress designer! lol. I'm also looking for a wedding dress for my wedding in November. Please let me know the name & address of your designer. I'd love to visit her. Thanks! smacvill33@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Would you please e-mail me how much your dress cost and the store information? I haven't been able to find a custom dressmaker in Seoul!

    hannahmhansen35@gmail.con

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi my name is allison and like the rest I'm looking to take my dress before I leave because I won't have time to buy one once u get back to the states. I have a bit of concern buying a dress online with out seeing as well specially for the one dress that is so important. So if you can please provide me with information on the shop you bought yours and approximate price. Thanks so much allison.beltranp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Has anyone found out where this shop is. If so please let me know at my email jgoodwin90@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi!!! My name is Nigora. Could you please give some information on good wedding dress shops in Seoul? I would really appreciate it! Thank you!!

    My e-mail is nigoraxon.yakubova@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi! My name is Samantha, and I am planning to get married next year in February. I have tried on some wedding dresses but haven't found anything I LOVE. Could you please send me the details of how much your wedding dress cost at Yulianna Wedding? Would really appreciate it. My email address is sam.yum629@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete