Sunday, September 27, 2009

I made something pretty today :)


Today I went shopping for Nick's birthday presents and while I was out I stumbled on a traditional art festival in Insadong. They were doing traditional wood block painting and I decided to try my hand at it. Above is what I ended up with. :)

I found out two things today: that many Koreans are amazing painters and that they are incredibly impressed when a foreigner can emulate their painting. I was sitting next to a ten year old girl whose block was just as good as mine, and the women and men all around me who were painting their wood blocks and carved ducks were amazing painters. I was the only foreigner painting. I had a small crowd surrounding me of Koreans all watching in wonderment as I painted my flower and butterfly. Many told me that they did not expect to see a foreigner painting a traditional Korean wood block and that they expected even less that I would be any good. It made me feel pretty good about myself, haha.

I'm glad I got the chance to paint this, the only thing I regret is that I didn't have time to paint more!


No comments:

Post a Comment