Saturday, June 5, 2010

My Parents in Korea: Day 1


What a fun day!

We picked my parents up from the airport last night and brought them to their hotel, which is very conveniently located in the middle of Seoul. Today we explored a little and then showed them Hwajung, where we live. It was so much fun to see them!



We started at the War Memorial of Korea. My dad and Nick had a lot of fun checking out the old planes, tanks, gunners, and ships. We all roamed around and took some great photos. We walked through their Memorial with all the names of fallen soldiers and took some nice shots by the water. It was a beautiful, sunny day - but quite hot. Summer is creeping up on us. After spending some time at the War Memorial we cabbed over to Itaewon and had some tasty fish and chips at the Wolfhound, a pub Nick and I enjoy. We had wanted to have the Arabian buffet for lunch but sadly the buffet was closed! My parents enjoyed the food we did have though, even though it wasn't Korean cuisine, haha.


After lunch we headed back to Hwajung. We showed them our little town and our home. It was nice spending time just hanging out and talking with them. Nick and my dad explored a little and found an interesting little co-op farm that had an elk. Yes, an elk. When they came back from their mini-adventure they looked online and found that the Koreans use the antlers for medicinal purposes. It was a bit of randomness that they both seemed to really enjoy. Then Nick left to go to the airport (again), this time to pick up our friends Daren and Phil.

My parents and I spent some more time in our apartment, escaping the heat and then we took the subway up to Ilsan to see La Festa. We walked through the shopping malls and my parents had a good laugh over some of the random English on the t-shirts for sale.

After returning from Ilsan we went to dinner at one of Nick and my favorite bulgolgi houses, right across the park from our house. The owner, Hi-Yoon, is a wonderful lady who was very kind and welcoming with my parents. They REALLY enjoyed the barbeque beef, the spicy soup, and many of the sides. They sampled kimchi and pickled radish, tofu and egg souffle, bean sprouts and green onion smothered in spicy pepper sauce, and much much more. Nick and the boys met us at dinner and we all enjoyed each others' company for a little while. Then my parents went back to their hotel after some language barrier issues with their cabbie. It was all good though, and they got back to their hotel safely.


Nick and I took Daren and Phil to Ilsan near where I had been with my parents earlier in the evening. We went to some of our usual haunts and had a good time catching up with our friends. The boys are very excited to explore Korea for the week. Tomorrow Nick will take them out and I will be spending some time with my parents. Tomorrow is also the day I get to pick up my dress from Yulliana! I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment