Sunday, June 6, 2010

Seeing Seoul

Today was probably one of the most action-packed days I have had in Korea. I am exhausted, but really happy.


I got up early to take the 1000 bus into Seoul to meet my parents for some sight-seeing. We walked down Sejong-ro towards the palace and enjoyed the sunshine. It was even hotter today than yesterday. We checked out the statue of Admiral Yi and the park in between the avenues. We caught the changing of the guards ceremony at the palace and then we ducked into the National Folk Museum to see some of the exhibits in the cool, air conditioned rooms. Then it was off to lunch for some traditional mandu, or dumplings. We had spicy boiled beef with peppers and onions, pork dumplings, and cold buckwheat noodles in kimchi sauce. My dad was especially enjoying the food.


After our delicious lunch we went back to the hotel - my dad had a meeting for work and it was time for my mom and I to go our own way. We walked through the Myeung-dong shopping area looking for some presents and I showed my mom the fantabulous ice cream cakes that Baskin Robbins has to offer here. Then it was off to Dongdaemun to grab a suitcase that was big enough to fit my wedding dress into. My mom was amused with the haggling and all the kiosks full of random items as crowds bustled around us.


Our purchase of a suitcase successful, we grabbed a cab and went to Hakdong to meet with my seamstress and get my dress. It was a very emotional experience for both my mom and me. We made all the ladies who work at Yulliana cry too, haha. As my kids would say, there was a lot of "happy tears." It was so delightful having Yulliana help me get my dress for my wedding. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect experience. Ana, my seamstress, was a huge help and she was so kind throughout the entire ordeal. My dress fit perfectly, and they packed it up into our suitcase and sent us on our way. I will always be grateful for their attention to detail and the welcoming attitude they had towards me. I'm also really happy that I can send my dress home safely with my mom. I can't wait to wear it and show it off to everyone on our wedding day :)


My mom and I rested in the hotel while waiting for my dad to finish with his meeting and then the three of us went over to Insadong to check out the Buddhist Temple that is there as well as all of the little shops and galleries that are in the area. My parents bought lots of presents and souvenirs for everyone back home. They really enjoyed perusing the shops and seeing all the traditional wares that are made in Korea. For dinner we went to Ahndamiro, the Italian restaurant that Nick took me to for Valentine's Day. We had a really nice dinner and then it was time for me to head back to Hwajung to get some sleep, because I have to go to work tomorrow - and so does my mom! She's coming to classes with me as I mentioned before and it will be another busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment